Hyrox vs CrossFit – How Are They Different?
If you’re new to the game, you might be wondering how HYROX stacks up against CrossFit.
Plenty of CrossFit athletes jump in on HYROX events, but the two sports are pretty different. Here are the main Hyrox vs CrossFit differences:
- Standards: All Hyrox events are standard (same workouts) while all CrossFit competitions are different with different workouts each time.
- Running: In Hyrox you run 8kms (aprox 5 miles) in total, while in CrossFit it’s rare to find workouts with such high running component
- Duration: On average, it takes 1.5 hours to finish a HYROX race (elite athletes can do it in under an hour). CrossFit workouts usually last less than 20 minutes.
- Exercises: HYROX exercises are designed to be accessible to everyone, so most people can give them a good go without a lot of practice. CrossFit, on the other hand, can require some seriously technical movements like muscle ups, handstand walks or double unders.
- The Elite Finals: The CrossFit Games are the big finale of the season. The best CrossFitters go head-to-head over a few days and workouts to see who’s crowned king or queen. HYROX has its own finale: the HYROX World Championships. It’s the same race as always, but the best of the best get to battle it out. There are also a ton of age groups competing, from 16-24 all the way up to 70+.
Hyrox vs CrossFit – Summary
Hyrox and CrossFit are two different fitness disciplines.
While CrossFit focuses on high-intensity shorter workouts, Hyrox is a combination of endurance and strength, with endurance being the primary component.
It’s difficult to compare the two because they offer different types of training. Hyrox can be likened to an indoor Spartan race, whereas CrossFit is more of an everyday sport.
However, many CrossFit athletes enjoy competing in Hyrox because of the hybrid athlete lifestyle it offers, combining endurance and strength training.
What is Hyrox?
HYROX is a rapidly growing functional fitness competition that combines endurance running and strength exercises in a timed format.
HYROX events feature a set workout with specific weights and distances that athletes can prepare for in advance. With a dedicated following in Europe and steady growth in the United States, HYROX offers a unique competition experience that attracts the attention of many CrossFit athletes.
The Hyrox Workout
HYROX competition workouts, weights, and distances:
2x 25m Sled Push – 165lb / 275lb / 385lb
2x 25m Sled Pull – 110lb / 165lb / 275lb
80m Burpee Broad Jump
200m Kettle Bell Farmers Carry – 2x16kg / 2x24kg / 2x32kg
100m Sand Bag Lunges – 22lb / 45lb / 66lb
100 Wall Balls – 10lbs / 1lbs / 10lbs
The average completion time is 90 minutes. Pro athletes complete Hyrox in less than 1 hour.
* 1 km = 1.000 meters = 0,62 miles
Hyrox vs CrossFit: Two different sports. If you love CrossFit and running, give Hyrox a try, it’s awesome!
My Experience Hyrox vs CrossFit
I’ve been crushing Crossfit for a few years now, hitting the gym 4-5 times a week.
I’ve always had a love for running too, and it ain’t easy to combine the two. But then, my boy put me on to this new game called HYROX, and it’s just magic!
See, I’m all about that hybrid athlete lifestyle, and HYROX combines running with endurance on the skierg or rowing machine, and sick strength movements like farmer carries, sled pulls, and wallballs.
My first HYROX race was straight-up magical. I tackled that solo challenge in under 1.5 hours with hardly any specific HYROX training.
And now, I’m hungry for more, can’t wait for my next race!
< Home | Hyrox vs CrossFit
Questions about Hyrox vs CrossFit? hit me up firstname.lastname@example.org